Thursday, January 21, 2016

Last treatment, a day to celebrate

Celebrating at a Mexican restaurant!




On Thursday, January 21, after more than 16 months, I had my very last cancer treatment. My mom and dad went with me to the treatment so they could be with me to ring the bell that signals the end of treatment, the absence of cancer.

When I first started treatment, I thought ringing the bell was silly. But after it was all over, when I contemplated all I had gone through,  I wanted to ring every bell in sight. Funny how things change.

Soon after ringing the bell, I got in my car and drove to Houston for a week of appointments and surgery at MD Anderson. The appointments in Houston were not technically "cancer treatments" though, so that's why the 21st was a day of celebration.

I am already back home from Houston. I have no more scheduled doctor's appointments in the future. It feels so strange after being so carefully monitored for so long. It is over, hopefully forever!

No comments: